Horns: A Strange Movie – Not that that’s a Bad Thing

Horns 2013 Movie Review

 I will say first off, that I have not read the book yet. This review is not based on my love or hate of the book, nor the movie’s “trueness” to the book, nor whether or not the movie is better or worse than the book. Besides, it’s pretty safe to say that the book is always better than the movie.

PS: I know this isn’t a new movie, but I just watched it. So there.

When I first accidentally saw this movie playing on TV, it really didn’t look like my type of flick. I mean… it had Daniel Radcliffe (I’m NOT a Harry Potter Fan), he had HORNS (like… what? It kind of reminded me of that movie “Beastly,” which I dreadfully regretted watching), and it looked like kind of a teen-bop chick-flick. Then I saw it was based on a book by Joe Hill, and after many helpful reviews from my favorite people to consult on the matter, I gave it a go. 

As I heard from many of the reviewers, the movie is indeed … awkward. If you’re not too sure how exactly a movie can be awkward, well, try watching “Horns” with your grandmother. I was FILLED with awkwardness. I was just lucky I didn’t watch it with my son as well.

As IMDB will tell you, the movie revolves around a young man who, in the wake of his lover’s death, suddenly begins growing horns. Falsely accused of murdering his girlfriend, Ig (Daniel Radcliffe) sets off on a quest to find his girlfriend’s real killer – with a little help from said “Horns.”

Before giving away too much of the story, I’ll just go ahead and tell you my 2 cents on the matter.

The question I had previously posed to my horror movie consultants was “is this worth 2 hours of my time?” So, without beating around the bush, the answer is yes. While 2 hours may have been a bit long, Horns managed to keep me on edge with its strangely delightful combination of mystery, suspense, dark (very dark) humour, and just plain old what-the-f*ck???-ness. Yes, that word has three question marks within the word itself.

If you’re a fan of movies that make you laugh, feel disgusted, and at the same time think what in the hell is happening here and who the hell comes up with this sh*t, then this may be right up your alley.
Personally, I felt the movie kind of lost the plot towards the end, but something tells me there would be a kind of inside joke going on if you’ve read the book, which would make the movie that much more enjoyable.

Also if you wonder why this movie is rated R – SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!! – That’s probably because it shows some boobies, and also someone gets three-quarters of his head blown up.

Final Rating: 6/10

I enjoyed the complete brashness of the movie, and its strange sense of humor. It went on a bit longer than I would have hoped for, but it was worth a watch. 

Distributed by: Dimension Films, RADiUS-TWC
Production Company: Red Granite Pictures, Mandalay Pictures   
Director: Alexandre Aja
Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Max Minghella, Joe Anderson, Juno Temple, Kelli Garner
Producers: Alexandre Aja, Riza Aziz, Joey McFarland, Cathy Schulman, Joe Hill
Music: Robin Coudert

R, 120 Minutes
Share on Google Plus

About Flame Rozario

0 comments:

Post a Comment