Get Out (2017) – Not as good as they say

Get Out 2017 Horror Movie Reviews

 I have no regret in saying, first and foremost, that I HATED this movie. ABSOLUTELY HATED. That’s not to say it’s necessarily a bad movie… but I’ll get around to that.

Normally, I will watch between 2-3 new horror/ thriller movies per week. More often than not, I am not impressed. No big deal really. Most movies are always going to be … not good movies.

I first heard about Get Out from this wonderful place we call Facebook. So many people from so many different groups and friend circles were absolutely RAVING about it. Next of all, Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 99%. That’s better than 99% of ALL MOVIES!!

It’s a little bit hard not to go into this movie without high hopes. Oh yeah, I didn’t read up about it, watch the trailer, or anything though, so I didn’t actually know what it was about at all.

Get Out 2017 Movie Review
 
It started out quite well. Intriguing, with a sinister undertone. But, as the movie progressed, I was bored. And there was no punchline. Not any that I didn’t guess like 15 minutes into the movie, anyway.

To summarize very shortly without any spoilers, Get Out is about this Caucasian girl who invites her African-American boyfriend up to her parents’ out of town estate for the weekend. At first hand, there seems to be a series of awkward moments brought about by her family being uncomfortable with their interracial relationship, but things are not quite as they seem.

On the plus side, the acting was good, but that’s about it. The scary parts weren’t scary, and while there were several unsettling and disturbing scenes, it wasn’t quite intriguing enough to keep my interest. And since I figured out the story from the first 15 minutes of the movie, I was really, really hoping that there was actually going to be some twist and they weren’t just ripping off a plot that had been done before. But they were.

All that to say, I have no idea what everyone is raving about. Get Out is pretty much Skeleton Key meets Wicker Man, and not as good as either of them. It's an okay way to spend a Saturday afternoon, but don't expect too much.

Final Rating: 4/10 

Entertaining enough, but unfortunately unoriginal and not scary at all.

Distributed by: Universal Pictures
Production Company: Blumhouse Productions, QC Entertainment, Monkeypaw Productions
Director: Jordan Peele
Cast: Daniel Kaluuya, Allison Williams, Lil Rel Howery, Bradley Whitford, Caleb Landry Jones, Stephen Root, Catherine Keener
Producers: Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Edward H. Hamm Jr, Jordan Peele
Music: Michael Abels

R, 104 Minutes
Share on Google Plus

About Flame Rozario

0 comments:

Post a Comment